While local sororities had been in existence on the Oklahoma A&M campus since 1912, Kappa Delta became the first nationally recognized sorority at Oklahoma A&M College when the local group known as Delta Delta was granted a charter on June 14, 1919. Kappa Delta was installed on August 9, 1919, only three days ahead of Pi Beta Phi's installation. Kappa Alpha Theta became the third national women's organization on September 5, 1919. In just more than a month, three groups had gained national recognition. Both an Interfraternity Council and a Panhellenic Council already were in place when the first nationally recognized fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha, arrived in 1917. By 1927 the Oklahoma A&M College's fraternity and sorority system grew to 19 nationally affiliated chapters. There were 12 fraternities and seven sororities. Three local Greek organizations, one of which was a sorority, also were operating at this time.
Today, the system now has grown to a total of 13 National Panhellenic Conference sororities, 22 North-American Interfraternity Conference fraternities (IFC), six National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) fraternities and sororities and nine Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) fraternities and sororities.
The Panhellenic Council is the governing body of the NPC sororities at Oklahoma State University. The entirety of the sorority community is referred to the Panhellenic Association.
Local founding dates are as follows:
- Kappa Delta: August 9, 1919
- Pi Beta Phi: August 12, 1919
- Kappa Alpha Theta: September 5, 1919
- Chi Omega: October 20, 1920
- Alpha Delta Pi: September 21, 1921
- Zeta Tau Alpha: August 17, 1923
- Alpha Chi Omega: March 8, 1947
- Kappa Kappa Gamma: April 12, 1947
- Gamma Phi Beta: February 8, 1958
- Delta Delta Delta: November 15, 1962
- Phi Mu: October 26, 1979
- Alpha Omicron Pi: April 22, 2012
- Alpha Xi Delta: January 31, 2015